Wednesday, November 9, 2016

PE Reflection

Reflection from the first PE:
  • I have been watching anime every week and shadowing various phrases. It's been useful for learning new phrases and improving my intonation. I'm also able to hear phrases and vocabulary that we've learned in class more easily, which is exciting!
  • I've gone to the Japanese language table about 80% of the time. When I wrote my original activities, I thought I'd be able to make it every week, but the trek from Bloomberg to Mathey is a bit....too far...especially when I have a lot more work this semester than I anticipated (despite only taking 4 classes). I'm more comfortable speaking with others now, but that may be a byproduct of getting to know people better.
  • I continue to self-study and review daily, and I practice vocab-specific intonation.
  • I have gone to office hours once, but I think I should go more often for speaking practice. I need to improve my ability to have conversations and form sentences on the spot. To be honest, I think it's harder to practice this at the Japanese language table (perhaps the setting is too casual, or there's too many people?), so I will shift my activities focus a bit.

毎日とてもねむいです…

Goal Revision:
  • Replace "converse more naturally with others" with "improve ability to have conversations on the spot". This means (1) thinking of the correct grammar structure faster, (2) thinking of the desired vocabulary faster, (3) being able to say it.
  • My other goals will not change. I think I have improvement, but (unsurprisingly) it's nowhere near native-level yet
Activity Revision:
  • Try to go to Japanese table at least twice a month rather than every week
  • Try to go to (any) sensei's office hours more

No comments:

Post a Comment